Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

8 Steps To Prepare for Podcasts and Radio Interviews To Promote Your Forthcoming Book

If public speaking gives you anxiety, then let author Aileen Weintraub guide you through the process with these 8 steps to help you prepare for podcast and radio interviews.

“One of the best ways to create buzz for your book is by doing radio and podcast interviews,” an acquisitions editor for a big publishing company told me over dinner one night.

I hadn’t even considered doing on-air interviews for my new book Knocked Down: A High-Risk Memoir. But it made sense. People tuning in are often already interested in the topic, they trust the host, and sales are higher when an audience feels they’ve connected with an author.

Even so, the idea of being on a live radio show or even a recorded podcast felt daunting. I was a writer, not a speaker. But I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to promote Knocked Down, so I wrote a stellar pitch letter that included a list of topics and angles I was open to discussing and reached out to potential hosts. I landed some great opportunities including NPR with Joe Donahue.

(9 Pros and Cons of Writing a Newsletter)

Here are eight easy steps to prepare for a live interview.

Step 1: Position yourself as an expert.

No one knows your book as well as you do. This means you are uniquely qualified to discuss the topics in your book, allowing you to bring your own experience and your own voice into the conversation in a way no one else can.

Knocked Down is about how I spent five months on pregnancy-related bedrest in a rickety old farmhouse. Well before pitching podcasts and radio shows, I positioned myself as an expert on the difficulties of high-risk pregnancy, marriage, and motherhood, by writing companion pieces in publications including The Washington Post and Parents magazine, among others. I also curated my social media accounts by following influencers and posting about related topics. When I pitched myself to radio shows and podcasts, hosts could see my recent bylines and knew I had a solid platform before deciding if they wanted to have me on their show.

Step 2: Prepare your talking points.

Armed with a heavy dose of imposter syndrome, I wondered if anyone would care what I had to say. I knew that the best way to overcome this was to provide my audience with actionable advice. With that in mind, I created a simple outline and came up with five talking points. Each talking point addressed a specific issue in my book.

Here’s an example of my first talking point:

1. Women need to feel empowered to advocate for their healthcare needs.

  • One way to do this is to make our stories heard
  • Telling our stories help others feel less alone
  • People who read my book will see how I faced the indifference of certain healthcare professionals and how I navigated this obstacle 

These basic talking points tell you that my goal is to make sure women feel empowered to advocate for our healthcare needs, explains why telling our stories helps others, and then circles back to specifics from my book that will hopefully entice readers to find out more.

Step 3: Practice and then practice some more.

Very few people become natural speakers overnight. It takes a lot of practice. Come up with a list of questions based on your book and then answer them … out loud. This allows you to hear yourself and make sure your answers are clear and concise. But don’t just listen to yourself. Ask a friend or colleague to rehearse an interview with you. I asked a fellow writer who had read my book to play the role of interviewer. My colleague told me where I needed to expand on my thoughts and where I drifted off topic. He also helped me keep my answers brief and to the point. You do not want to ramble.

Most podcasts are now done via Zoom or a similar platform, so do a quick run through of your audio and your equipment. Some podcasts and radio shows prefer you to use headphones and a mic, but it’s not always necessary.

Pro tip: Put your phone on Do Not Disturb or leave it in another room during interviews. Incoming calls and texts are incredibly distracting.

Step 4: Get to know the host before the show.

Do not go on a podcast or radio show without doing your research. Listen to multiple episodes of the show before your appearance. This will give you an idea of the host’s interview style and whether it is casual or formal. Some interviews are more like discussions, rather than interviews, and some podcasts are more serious while others infuse humor. You want to know what to expect beforehand and who the host’s main audience is so that they can become YOUR audience. Be sure to follow the host on social media. The more you know about your host, the better prepared you will be.

Step 5: Prepare mentally and physically.

The very idea of being live on-air is overwhelming to me, and even though I’ve done many appearances, I still get nervous before an interview. My heart races, I become fidgety, and I worry that I will forget my talking points. Because of this I have implemented effective strategies to manage my anxiety.

If I’m feeling jittery before a big interview, I go for a run in the morning to raise my endorphins, clear my head, and shake off some stress. A run might not be for everyone, but the point is to move your body. Even doing a couple of jumping jacks or taking a quick walk around the block can make a difference.

Right before the interview I take 10 deep breaths and ground myself where I’m standing. I also apply lip balm so my lips aren’t dry, and I keep a glass of water nearby. Answering questions about your book can feel very personal, and sometimes the questions can be difficult to navigate. Do whatever works for you to prepare your mind and body for the experience.

Step 6: Stay on topic.

An interviewer will come prepared with their own agenda, but you never have to answer questions that make you feel uneasy. Luckily, most author interviews are friendly and rarely will anyone purposely put you on the spot. Even so, it is important to be prepared for those uncomfortable moments. There are certain topics in my book that I don’t want to have an in-depth discussion about, especially around how I left my Jewish community. So, when someone raises that question, I say something positive about the people who disowned me because of my interfaith marriage, and then move on by gracefully bringing the discussion back to topics in the book I prefer to focus on.

Step 7: Leave them wanting more.

Your goal is to entice your audience so that they want more of what you have to offer, and that something more is your book. I often reference specific scenes in my book to pique listeners’ curiosity. For example, there is a scene in Knocked Down where my doctor casually mentions he didn’t think I even needed to be on bed rest for my high-risk pregnancy. This is after having already spent four months in bed, giving up my job, and watching both my finances and my marriage suffer. By mentioning this pivotal scene I’m inviting the reader to find out what happens after I hear that declaration from the doctor.

I also make sure to have a short, snappy, thought-provoking sound bite ready to go that the host can use in promotional materials. In Uncorking the Story with Mike Carlon, the quote I prepared was, “Life doesn’t throw you curveballs, life is the curveball.” Carlon used my quote on social media and in other clips to promote our interview.

Step 8: Master the wrap up.

Most interviewers will end by thanking you for being on their show. Seize this opportunity to shine! Thank the host and provide actionable steps for the audience to find out more about you. I always end with something like:

“Thank you for having me on your show. Knocked Down is available on Amazon, Bookshop.org, and wherever books are sold. You can find out more about me at aileenweintraub.com, and connect with me on Twitter at @aileenweintraub. I always love hearing from my readers so please reach out to say hello.” This is also a great place to plug a workshop, a giveaway, or mention an upcoming reading.

Podcast and radio interviews can feel intimidating at first, but as with most things, the more you do them, the easier they become. They are a great way to expand your audience and reach new readers. After about my 10th interview, I noticed a huge shift, and I realized that not only was I feeling more confident, I was actually enjoying them!

This intensive two-week course will teach you how to craft a good pitch letter and do it well. Be ready to mine your life for ideas. Start thinking about a great spin on a topic or an unusual personal experience that you'd like to write about in class.

Click to continue.

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires